Today I feel as if my life has become the movie "Groundhog Day" with the same beginning -- a little stiff and sore from sleeping on the floor next to Mr. Roly Poly and exhausted from lack of sleep I'm getting. We had another late night play session - and to be honest, I'm amazed at how well he is doing. He hasn't really been cranky or tired and even though it is the middle of the night, he is in great spirits - "talking", laughing and playing so nicely. He obviously has no idea that it isn't play time right now. I keep telling myself that this, too, shall pass. Poor Liv woke up during one of his middle of the night awakenings and stumbled into Joe's room saying she couldn't sleep. I carried her back to her room and put her to bed, where she fell back asleep instantly. (I honestly have no idea how the rest of my family can do this.)
Brian got Liv off to school (they *just* made it before the doors closed) and Liv made a point of telling Mrs. Knuff that her little brother kept her up ALL night. Mrs. Knuff let her know that it would be a nice, relaxing day and if she needed to put her head down on her desk for a few minutes that would be fine. She knows how hard it is to have a new little brother or sister in the house. We just love the atmosphere at St. Mary's and are glad that Liv is enjoying going to school there.
Once Brian got back home, we decided to take Joe on a walk around the neighborhood with Jazzy dog. After a few attempts, I was able to get the carrier configured so Brian could use it. He's about a foot taller than I am, so I'm glad that both of us are able to use it - and assured him that after using it a few times, he'll get the hang of all the straps and buckles. We finally got him ready to go and headed out. Mr. Observant was craning his neck to see everything and would whip his head around whenever he'd hear a car drive past to follow it down the road. He seems to like being out and about and finds comfort being in the carrier.
We were 1 for 2 with new foods today, we got a big thumbs up for American cheese (his foster mom had told me that he loves cheese) and a thumbs down for bananas. What? No bananas? Hopefully in a few weeks, we'll get his tastebuds attuned to our fruits and vegetables.
Joe and I took a nice nap in the morning and Brian and I figured that I should go and have lunch at Liv's school this morning to surprise her. She has been such a trooper with all the changes that are going on in the house and we thought it would be a nice way to show her how much we appreciate her and all she's doing as we all adjust to Joseph Sung Min being part of our family. She WAS surprised (and I was thrilled that she didn't ask where Papa was) and so excited that I came to have lunch with her. The kids in her kindergarten class are awesome and looked so cute in their uniforms. I felt like a rockstar in the cafeteria - even students I didn't know were talking to me and waving - I had a great time (and was able to make sure that Liv and her BFF actually ATE their lunches as they usually chitchat the whole time and come home hungry and with a full lunchbox). Next was recess and Liv insisted I stay to watch her play on the playground. How could I resist? These kiddos play HARD out there even if it was 90+ degrees outside.
When I got home, Grandma and Grandpa Fuehrer had stopped by for a quick visit so Grandpa could finally see Joe. And Grandma, of course, was going through withdrawal since she hadn't seen him in two days. :-) Joe did well and was a trooper himself with all the pictures that were taken. He better get used to it - it is going to happen quite frequently in this family.
After they left, it was time for another bottle and a nap for Mr. Adorable. During the day, this boy can sleep. (These days, so can I, so I'm not complaining.) Brian and Liv decided to go swimming at Splash Zone before taking Liv to Grandma and Grandpa's house for a sleepover. She was so excited for some Papa time AND a sleepover. Bonus!!
Poor Joseph Sung Min woke up in a mood. For the next hour (it seemed like HOURS), he was inconsolable. Nothing would stop him from crying. He didn't want to be held, he cried. I put him down, he cried. I picked him up again, he cried. I gave him a bottle, he cried. I cried. He cried. Not even Pororo worked its magic. I can't even imagine how much this sweet child is missing his family. Everything he knew is gone. New place, new people, new smells, new food, new everything. Not necessarily bad, just different. And so overwhelming for someone so young.
I found some relief putting him in his carrier and walking around with him. Then, I decided to put some music on and first put on some Korean children's songs - no luck this time. Then, I popped "In A BIg Warehouse" by the Imagination Movers in the stereo. He loved it! He immediately perked up and when I started dancing around, big smiles. *phew* Crisis averted, for now. I know his grieving is nowhere near being finished, I'm just thankful to have found a temporary reprieve.
The rest of the day was better. Brian came home and was, of course, greeted with big smiles. He definitely has quite a bond with his Papa and I love seeing that. Joseph Sung Min IS an absolute joy, even with his sleep issues and crank factor. He is a sweetheart and so much fun - definitely worth the wait.
Brian and I have finally worked out a schedule - I'll take the first part of the night and will tap him in around 2:00 or 3:00 - whenever I need back up. Hopefully we'll get into a good sleep routine, until then, I'll just plan to be up until 2:00 am or so, and catch as much sleep as I can when he does during the day. We know that this is just temporary and soon, will be a (mostly) fond memory - as well as a great story for Joe as he grows up.
It will get easier, but it might break your heart first. One of the best pieces of advice I was given is that sometimes you just have to cry with them. Like everything else regarding children, the days are long but the years are short; hindsight will make all of this quite funny as time passes. You four are doing an incredible job, and I love reading your updates!
ReplyDelete