Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bunnies, a rabbit and chickens - oh my!

Since Olivia was having a sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's house, we tried harder to get Joe to go back to sleep in his room before resorting to coming downstairs for our middle of the night play times.  No such luck.  The poor kid is, at times, inconsolable and I can hear him as he whimpers faintly cry out "Omma".  He misses his Omma, Appa, Holmoni and everything familiar.  He's here with new people, new smells, new animals creatures, new everything.  We know we'll get through this - and are noticing that even with all that has happened, he is bonding with us.  We love it when we go to pick him up and he gives us a little giggle.  Maybe he thinks we're not so bad after all.

Joe Sung Min and I got up and played, played, played for 2 1/2 hours.  I must admit that he is an incredible child and so much fun to be around (especially when he is in good spirits.)  After a bottle, I was sure that he'd be ready to go down to sleep.  Nope.  I've done all I can and Brian gets tagged in for the late night fun.  Those two are like two peas in a pod and I'm not sure how quickly Brian will get him down because before I know it, I hear lots of giggling going on.  Soon, though, I'm out like a light and the next thing I know, it is 9:00 am.  Woohoo!  I got some sleep!!

Now that we're getting "settled" in, I decide it is time to start our cloth diapering experiment.  So far, so good -- we're still working on making diaper changes less of a stressful ordeal for the little fella.  If you have any tips, feel free to share them with us! :-)

Since it is a nice day outside (and Brian needs to clean out the chicken cage that is in the basement bathroom), we decide to let the rabbits and chickens have some play time in the backyard.  Brian picks Liv up from Grandma and Grandpa's house so she can spend some time with her little brother and decide if she wants to have another sleepover tonight.  I'm thinking she will, but we'll see about that!

Joe LOVES watching the animals.  The chickens (they are about 5 weeks old) love running around outside and every once in awhile test out their wings.  It is quite comical.  Then, the two new bunnies are scurrying around and eating anything they can fine.  Poor Avalon doesn't know what to think - and it seems one of the chickens or new bunnies are always hanging out by her.  Joe is on my lap giggling at the animals and watching intently as his big sister Olivia picks up the chickens and they stand on her arm.  She. Is. Amazing.

Soon it is time for lunch and I made Liv's favorite -- dinosaur macaroni and cheese.  This stuff is delicious!  Since Joe likes cheese and rice, we figure he'll eat this right up.  And we were right. He isn't very interested in baby food, but whatever we're eating, watch out!  He scarfed down a little bowl of macaroni and cheese and Liv realizes her little brother isn't half bad -- they even have the same taste in food!  We were 2 for 2 with new foods today, he also loved having scrambled eggs at dinner time.  So far, so good in terms of introducing new things for him to eat! Liv decides she WOULD like to have another sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's because, you know, Joseph sometimes makes a lot of noise at night...

Overall, it was a great day.  We had lots of fun together and there wasn't too much crying.  Maybe we're turning a corner, maybe he is getting used to us or maybe we just got lucky.  Only time will tell.  But one thing is for sure, we love this little boy unconditionally and thank God that he is finally home with us - sobbing, sleepless nights and all.

Here are a few pictures of our day:

Liv trying on her hanbok
 
Mr. Handsome is all smiles with his Papa
   Joseph Sung Min LOVES getting "up-downs" from his Papa!

No comments:

Post a Comment