Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Very Squatchy Day (aka Best.Day.Evah)

Last night as Olivia was getting ready for bed, I glanced at my phone and noticed a tweet by Cliff Barackman of Finding Bigfoot.  To my surprise, it said he had just arrived in Ohio to film a special episode tomorrow (today).  I mentioned that to her in passing and she thought that was very cool - and hoped there would be a "...town hall meeting, because they are my favorite."

Naturally, as soon as I got back downstairs, I did a little research online and found out that the filming was open to the public, but people should arrive early as there was a packed house when they filmed the Ohio episode a few months ago.  Liv would absolutely LOVE to be part of it so I mentioned it to Brian and he agreed that we should make it happen.  Not only would she be able to meet the cast (especially family fave Ranae Holland, who has been corresponding with me on facebook and twitter, giving Liv suggestions on books to read and encouraging her love of the outdoors) but it would be in a town hall meeting format.  Liv would be so excited!!  

Brian decided to hunt at Salt Fork State Park, right near where the taping would be since we were in the midst of a snow storm and he didn't want me to have to drive the 2+ hours. We got up super early and to our surprise, Liv woke up at 5:15.  We told her we had a super surprise for her, it would require a long car ride and sitting around and waiting, but it would be worth it.  She was game and couldn't wait to drop Joe off at Grandma and Grandpa's house so we could start our adventure.

We didn't want to tell her what we were doing in case we were shut out, but we did drop a few hints along the way.  At one point, I wondered aloud what Bobo (I mean Joe-Joe) was doing with Grandma and Grandpa; Brian commented on how thick the woods were.  As we were getting close to our exit, Liv was excitedly chattering about how squatchy the woods were and that I should "text the BFRO people and tell them they should do a show out here."  If only she knew...

We arrived about 10:30am and were relieved to see that there were plenty of seats available, even in the front row!  As I filled out the waivers, Brian explained to her that this was her surprise, and did she recognize that guy (Bobo) over there?  He didn't turn around, but Cliff did, and Liv said, "Oh, there is Cliff" and then her eyes got really wide as it started to sink in.  Bobo finally turned around and Liv was in awe.  She was speechless (just like she was a few years ago on Easter when the Easter Bunny brought her a Franklin stuffed animal doll thingy.)

We saw Ranae and naturally made a beeline to her.  We waited patiently and when it was our turn, I introduced us and let her know that this was "Liv".  She broke into a huge smile and knelt down and gave her a huge hug.  Livy was a little nervous but so excited to meet Ranae- and get her picture taken with her. (She did NOT want me to tell her, however, her  quintessential quote from our viewing of the "Peeping Bigfoot" episode expedition, as Bobo was turning in for the night while he was on his solo trip: "Mama, I see Bobo's nudies!!!"  I'm pretty sure Ranae (and any of the cast) would find the humor in that statement.)  But I digress...

What an awesome day!  Ranae told her she had a special postcard for her - and some book and movie recommendations so we couldn't leave before we said goodbye.  But it was much too early to talk about leaving...

Liv and her buddy Ranae
We decided to get settled in and let Liv digest what was happening.  She was at a town hall for Finding Bigfoot.  EVERYONE was here.  She finally met Ranae.  So much to comprehend!!
An excited (and overwhelmed) Olivia with Brian (can you find Bobo in this picture?)

Next, we went to say hi to Cliff and Bobo, get their autographs and ask if they would take a picture with Liv.  Brian might say otherwise, but he was excited to meet them and get his picture taken with them as well.  Poor Liv was totally overwhelmed and super shy when we spoke with them.  We told them it was her favorite show and we let her stay up if she doesn't have school on Monday - and that she was commenting on how "squatchy" the woods were on our drive down.  These are classic pictures, even if she is doing one heck of a spider monkey impersonation in them.
A very overwhelmed Liv with Cliff and Bobo (they are so nice!)

Take II - Bobo was kind enough to move to the side so we could try to get a better picture
We joked that Liv's expression was like Joe's when he met Santa 
Brian decided to hunt (he almost stayed for the filming) so Liv and I waited patiently until filming began. We made countless trips to the evidence table to see what people had brought.  She was intrigued by the footprint casts and pictures and loved listening to the stories of the people who brought them.  If they weren't around, she would retell the tales to others who were checking everything out.  So exciting!

One of the 1502 times we checked out the "Evidence Table"

Possible Bigfoot hair.  Ooh!
Taken during a break for Mel.  (You're welcome!)
Olivia showing off the locked deer antlers

The filming was interesting, fun and long.  Living in and around NYC for so long, I've been to my share of tapings - Letterman, Conan, etc so I was ready for retakes, breaks, do-overs and corrections.  The Finding Bigfoot cast did a great job of mixing things up and keeping it fresh.  I can't wait to see the finished product - and not just because we'll be on tv! :-)  Liv enjoyed the clips from the shows that haven't aired and hearing Cliff, Matt, Ranae and Bobo talk about their experiences. I'm really impressed with how well she did considering it was a LOT of sitting.  I enjoyed hearing their responses to the audience questions, not to mention the incredible people watching opportunity this afforded me.  This group was truly a microcosm of society.  Since we were in the front row, we were able to chit chat with Ranae and Bobo during some of the breaks and Liv was playing close attention to soaking it all in.  They were all very approachable, friendly and appreciative of everyone who came out today.  It would definitely be a good time hanging out with them over a few drinks.
Cliff, Matt, Ranae and Bobo relaxing as the filming wrapped up


Liv and "Matt Moneymaker" (she refers to him with both names)
Once we got everyone's autograph and said goodbye to Ranae, it was time to go.  We grabbed some food (the pizza was really good - or we were super hungry) and began our journey home.  We thought she would sleep on the way home after her long day.  Wrong! She talked the entire two hours home recapping everything.  I thought she was fading during the taping (I think Bobo even commented during a break on her glassy eyes) and wasn't sure what, if anything she would remember.  Her recall, however, is amazing. Here are some snippets from the drive home:
  • "Mama, did you know Bohbs (from this point forth, he is no longer referred to as "Bobo") would be so funny and sassy?" 
  • "Ranae is really nice.  And smart.  And funny. She said I was her favorite. Mama, could you text Ranae and tell her she's my favorite?"
  • "Do you remember when Matt Moneymaker was talking about that guy from Canada? I don't think he believed him or thought his video was real. I can't wait to see Canadian Bigfoot, Eh?."
  • "Hey Papa: at one point, Cliff was saying that Bohbs ate some donuts so squatches would know they were for eating.  Isn't that funny? Did you know squatches like donuts?  I like donuts too."
And so it continued for 2 hours. We were thrilled to see her excitement and to know that this was such a wonderful experience for her.  Liv and I went to Grandma and Grandpa's house to spend the night so we would be there when Joe Sung Min woke up.  She could not wait to tell them about her day, show them her autographs, the card from Ranae and the pictures I took chronicling her experiences.

As we were getting ready for bed, she gave me a big hug and a kiss and thanked me for her wonderful surprise.  She told me it was her Best. Day. Evah. and that she couldn't wait to tell all her friends about it.  As parents, we relish opportunities to make amazing memories with our children.  Today was definitely a day to remember and I look forward to reliving it with my little squatcher when the episode airs.  We'd like to thank Bigfoot, wherever you are (if you are) for making the day possible...

(Oh.  I should mention that Joe had a great day with Grandma and Grandpa.  He even took three unassisted steps.  Way to go, little man!!  Tune in next time for more on Joe!)

Isn't he the cutest thing?

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I love that Liv loves Bigfoot! That makes her extra cool in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best post evah! I wonder if I tell them we have a Squatch next door, if they will come? :) I loved reading the recap and how excited Liv was. What an incredible memory for her! Thanks for my pic of Bobo! :P xoxox
    P.S. Yes...he is the CUTEST THING EVAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they will make it to WV in Season 3. I did see that they were going to film in Idaho, Arkansas, Michigan, Louisiana and Montana -- I don't know how WV wouldn't be hit at some point. Liv has already asked if we can go to another one, after all, "Matt Moneymaker did say we should go to another one, Mama"... Let's see if I can't get you an autographed picture. :-P

    I didn't mention above that I was relieved to hear that they don't think *everything* is a Sasquatch. 95% of the time, they say it is a twig, deer, owl, etc but that gets edited out. In fact, they film 100 hours that gets trimmed down to 44 minutes.

    Oh. And get a picture of the sasquatch next door. Gotta build your case for WV!

    ReplyDelete