Saturday, September 1, 2012

According to Bexx...Happy Birthday to a Wonderful Friend

Mags: "Hey Miss Becky. You know what? I just love birthdays. I love the cake, the ice cream, the decorations and the presents. I just l-o-o-o-o-o-o-v-e presents."
Me: "Birthdays ARE a lot of fun, Mags. I love 'em too."
Mags: "I'll bet you've had a LOT of birthdays, Miss Becky."
Me:  (changing the subject) "Let's go sneak some icing off the side of those cupcakes while no one is looking!"
Mags: "Good idea. Watch my back."

Not long ago, Liv and I took a much needed vacation to visit my good friend Mel and her family. My girl was super-cited to finally meet Tuck, Mags, Miss Mel and Mr. Chris (and hopefully see Mr. Chris' toe jam collection.)  I could not wait to finally meet Mel, who had become one of my closest friends over the past few years.  From the instant we met, it was as if we had known each other all of our lives.  Hanging out with her and her family seemed like something we did all the time.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your friendship, for being there for me not only during the good times, but for encouraging and supporting me in those times when things looked bleak.  (And of course talking me down off of more than a few ledges when work and life got a little too overwhelming.)  

You possess the hallmarks of an amazing friend: honesty, compassion, loyalty, selflessness, humor and, as an added bonus, a quick wit.  You have made my life, and countless more, a better and brighter place.  Thank you for giving of yourself so freely to others.  And thank you for sharing your beer with me. :)


Happy Birthday Mel!

In honor of our rides down the mountain making up songs about the man with the worst parking spot and the questionable dating habits, I give you:

A Birthday Ode to Mel (to the tune of "Escape" - aka "the Pina Colada Song")

Happy birthday to you, Mel
you're an amazing friend,
I am so glad that we met,
Our fun it has no end
You always have the right words to say
To make your friends feel better
You are truly Wonder Woman  
right down to the yellow letters.


I'm a little embarrassed to post my other birthday song below.   Apparently, my mouth was full of chocolate chips or something when I was talking to the guy about creating this and he mistook "Mel B." for "Shelby."  Whatever. I guess it is an honest mistake, but I think "Mel B." would have been the more obvious choice.  At any rate, I hope you enjoy this little ditty and think of your own little minion.  I think he got her personality perfectly!



And now I leave you with some birthday greetings from:


The boy:


The girl:

The rooster (You know him as "Rambo")

Berry says you don't look a day over 20...

But wait ... there is more! Click below for birthday wishes from some of your favorite people 
AND a chance to win a set of ginsu knives and a snuggie:

Kari (with special guests Donna and Sofia)
Amy, Sandra and Wyman 

We hope you have a fantastic day! Mwah!

15 comments:

  1. I can't say thank you enough. All these messages are so very special. I am so glad we finally had a beer with broken light sticks. :P I'm so overwhelmed by these sweet words. Love you so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome - and I sincerely meant about 85% of what I wrote. I hope you have a wonderful day and look forward to sharing another beer with you in the coming months. Happy birthday, dear friend.

      Delete
    2. WAITACOTTONPICKINSECOND...85%?? You know my OCD can't handle that!

      Delete
    3. I stand behind everything I wrote; albeit some more sincerely than the rest. :) Hope you had a great day.

      Delete
  2. You're awesome Bexx! Thanks for this post, these videos, and, most of all, the friendship! We had a great time on your visit. When are you coming back? My toe jam collection has grown even bigger!
    Come on back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, according to Mags (and by that I mean the 4 year old), since we were there to celebrate Tuck's birthday, we HAVE to come back for HER birthday. Or else. The "or else" scares me a little. And of course, our door is always welcome if you're looking to visit Ohio. It is an honor and pleasure to be friends with you and Mel. I look forward to making more fun memories with you all!

      Delete
  3. Love it Bexx! You nailed it, Mel is a wonderful friend! I loved what dialogue with Mags, because you know that has happened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has happened? DID happen during our visit when Mel threw a little surprise party for Tuck. I used to wonder if Mags actually said all those things Mel wrote about. She does. And then some. I can't wait to read what comes out of her mouth next! And thanks, glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You summed her up perfectly!
    All though the Toe Jam audio was delightfully disturbing.

    Happy Birthday, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You think the audio was disturbing? Wait until you see the visual! ;) Thanks for stopping by and for including me in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along - wouldn't have been near as fun without you!

      Delete
  7. How cute is that? And we got to hear from so many! I'm glad you could join us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michele! That means a lot. Thrilled to be a part of this.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful, brilliant, adorable post, Bexx! The kids are too cute. Rambo and Berry had me in stiches! I'm so glad you wanted to play, too! I can't wait until the day when we can all play together in the same place!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Amy! There is definitely a cast of characters around these parts - and never a shortage of inspiration. So glad you reached out to me about Mel's present - and hope to find a sandbox big enough for us all to play. :)

    ReplyDelete