I must admit that Dr. Schulte's suggestions for assisting in altering his sleep patterns have been very helpful. Last night, he went to sleep at 7:30 pm, woke up briefly around 11:15 (just as I was going to bed, of course) and again at 3:30am. Each time, he fell back asleep within about 10-15 minutes and he slept until about 6:20am when we woke him up. I had a wonderful night's sleep since Brian brought me an air mattress from his mom's house. What a difference that makes!!
Liv woke up with a stomach bug and stayed home from school, Joe was feeling the effects of his 4 shots yesterday, not to mention the whole ordeal of going to the doctor's office, having blood drawn, etc. It was quite an emotional day for him and he is still a little drained from it. This could be an interesting day for us...
After some cheerios and grapes for breakfast and a bottle to chase it all down, Joe was ready to rock and roll. It is amazing how much more comfortable he is around the house, even around Jazzy (although he still doesn't like her kisses.) He is crawling around at warp speed when he wants to and is really starting to pull himself up more. He's definitely not ready to walk yet, but he is getting closer. He likes to use us as jungle gyms and climbing over us is providing his leg muscles much needed exercise. When we leave the room, he doesn't get anxious, if anything, he'll just crawl to where we are and start giggling as he gets closer. He LOVES opening and closing doors, drawers and anything else that moves. He is definitely curious and we get a kick out of watching him take everything in.
After running a few errands this morning, I got him down for his morning nap and decided that air mattress looked pretty inviting. His doctor recommended I still nap when he naps and that sounds like sage advice. I can update my blog, pick up things around the house, etc later. I need my rest, right? Grandma came by as our nap was ending with lunch -- chicken paprikash from Hershey's -- and some cotton candy ice cream for Olivia. She was SO excited to get such a treat today.
I made the kids some cream cheese and jelly sandwiches, thinking that would go over well with Joe. He tolerated it well enough before I brought in my lunch - a container of chicken paprikash. His eyes grew big, he leaned as far forward as he could in his high chair and let out an excited "Aaaahhh" and opened his mouth. I wasn't sure what he would think about the flavor since there is so much paprika in it, but I shouldn't have been concerned. He loved it. LOVED it. I gave him dumplings (I couldn't cut up the pieces and get them in his mouth fast enough), I gave him some pieces of shredded chicken and (of course) a roll with butter. He was an eating machine, at times letting out a rather guttural "Aaaaahhhhh", while Liv was encouraging him to use his "inside" voice to ask for food. It was quite humorous. I finally had to put the food away and get him out of the chair because I think he would have kept eating -- and we're not sure how this will effect his little belly.
After some more play time, it was nap time -- he did NOT want to sleep, getting maybe 20 minutes of sleep. Liv couldn't either so hopefully the crank factors will be low this afternoon and they will go down to sleep easily.
Tonight at dinner, Brian and I were trying to work with Joe to get him to eat on his own - and to take bites off of larger pieces of food. He will pick up food, lift it up mouth level and drop it. He refuses to put it in his mouth. If we try to put something in his hand, he will make a tight little fist, if he does have something in his hand and we try to guide his hand to his mouth, he will turn his head. This child is stubborn and this will be interesting. Eventually I made him a scrambled egg and, under the watchful eye of Jazzy, he ate up the whole thing.
We thought some fresh air might help them sleep so we took Jazzy for a walk around the neighborhood. Joe did a great job in our little stroller, just sitting back and watching everything. He is absolutely going to LOVE the Halloween decorations that will be cropping up in the coming weeks. (Speaking of which, we are having a hard time trying to decide what Liv and Joe should be for Halloween - so if you have any suggestions, feel free to pass them along!)
When we got home, we played some more, Joe had a bottle and I was sure he would go to sleep easily. He basically missed a nap, had a full tummy and a dry diaper. What else could he need? I wish I knew the answer to that question since I rocked him and sang to him (like I always do) for 30 minutes to no avail. Finally, he fell asleep, but not without an extra dose or two of fussing. He is still sleeping as I write this, so hopefully he's down for the count now.
No comments:
Post a Comment