Wow. This is it. The day of THE flight. When I bring Joe on a VERY long plane ride home to join the rest of the family. What an exciting yet terrifying day.
Amy and I didn't have much on the agenda for today -- finish packing and just relax before we catch the bus to the airport. After our gypsy taxi experience on the way to the hotel, we figured we'd go the safer (and much cheaper) route.
Packing was an adventure to say the least. I'm glad I brought a small duffel bag in a addition to a large suitcase. My clothes and a few smaller souvenirs fit great in my duffel bag and my suitcase, well, see for yourself:
| Filled to the brim |
The bus ride was awesome. The seats were very comfortable and it was very clean (just like the rest of the public transportation in Seoul) - but we just couldn't shake that sense of excitement/fear/dread/wonder for what was to happen in the coming hours. The thought of spending 13+ hours with a child that *really* doesn't know you and who is wondering what happened to their family is daunting to say the least. Not to mention how the 6+ kids in our section of the airplane were going to affect the other passengers. My brain was on overload and I focused on the important things - get to where you need to be, when you need to be there and take it from there.
Amy and I were the first to arrive at the airport. We found the nursery where we were to meet the 3 escorts, the Miyashita family and the KSS staff who would be bringing our children. This is getting VERY real at this point. Soon the Miyashitas arrive, then the FAC escorts. Amy and I go with them to check in and get lap tickets for Joe and Elena. The KSS staff arrived earlier than expected and we breathed a sigh of relief that there was plenty of time to get everything done.
I was the last to get my ticket and for some reason, because I wanted to use up my won, I needed to go into another line to complete the transaction. FINALLY I was done and went into the nursery to pick up my son. Poor Joseph Sung Min was the only one sitting in a stroller looking a little forlorn and confused; all the other babies were in the arms of their parents or stroller of their escort. I gave him a big smile and said hello to him as I unbuckled him from the stroller and smiled as he reached out his arms to me. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.
The escorts and KSS staff recommended that I check Joe's diaper to see if it needed to be changed before we got on the plane. I tried. Holy moley, this child does NOT like to have his diaper changed. In. The. Least. I was not prepared for the level of flailing and wailing that came out of this little fella. He was good to go and I strapped him into my carrier and we were off to conquer security.
I must admit I was more than a little concerned about this section. Not that I had anything to worry about, but I wasn't sure how the security was in Korea. With my artificial hip, I get stopped EVERY time I travel and either get a very intrusive pat down or deal with the new fangled machines. Honestly, the hardest part of this was getting my belt off from underneath the carrier - it was a Houdini-esque feat to say the least. I walked through, it beeped and told them I had an artificial hip. Perhaps having Joseph Sung Min strapped to me was my lucky charm. A quick, non-invasive pat down and I was through.
We made our way to the correct section of the airport and gate and eagle eyes Joe was soaking it all in. He does not miss a trick. By the time we got to our gate, they were just about ready to pre-board the families with young children. Wow. The timing has been working out perfectly so far. Let's just hope that it is a harbinger of what is to come.
As we were boarding, Amy and I realized that while we had window and aisle seats, we did NOT have them in the same row as promised. I was a row behind her and Elena. A kind woman was nice enough to trade her center seat for an aisle seat (ok, it probably is a no-brainer) and the gentlemen on the end (a student from Korea who is studying in Boston, I believe) didn't mind being
The plane prepared to take off and Amy and I asked the flight attendant for some bottles of water so we could make their formula. We tried giving our kiddos their bottles. Joe took his right away, Elena, not so much. She wanted no part of it and screamed and screamed. Poor, sweet child. Joe, on the other hand, had fallen fast asleep. He slept, rolling back and forth in my lap, for the next 4 1/2 hours. I couldn't believe it. Elena, on the other hand, screamed the first four hours and Amy only got relief walking around with her in the back of the plane.
Out of nowhere, our angel whom we referred to as the "Korean Baby Whisperer" appeared. She was nice enough to switch seats with Amy temporarily so Elena could get some sleep. (Did I mention the "Economy Upgrade" seats we purchased had one feature we weren't expecting -- lights that would not dim? Yep, that's right, the lights in our section were on full blast the entire time.) The KBW took a turn with each child, offering to comfort, soothe, hold - whatever she could do to help. She also informed the guy sitting on the aisle seat (in Korean) that he should switch to the window seat. He looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and said, "She just told me I had to move to the window seat" -- I again thanked him for his patience and for being so kind. For Mr. Sleeps A Lot, she took him off my hands, so I could get some sleep, put him on her back and reappeared 15 seconds later (if that) with him tied on her back in a Korean baby carrier. She told me she was a volunteer with Holt and was traveling to visit a friend in Detroit for two weeks -- and she likes to help when she can in situations like this - and were we ever thankful!!
Amy and Elena came back and were surprised to find they had coveted aisle seats -- I let her know it was a direct order of the KBW. :-) Elena was finally starting to warm up to her and I enjoyed watching them "disco dance" and share some snacks. Elena is stunning and the poor thing was so tired. Amy took one look at my sleeping child and said, "he's going to be up for the next three days..."
Joe finally woke up 4 1/2 hours later and we took a much needed trip to the restroom. He put up a Herculean struggle, but I was able to change his diaper and put on a new outfit -- I wanted to preserve the cute little outfit his Omma had dressed him in this morning. I had no idea such a mellow child could throw such a fit! Here's hoping he is a camel like his big sister and diaper changes are few and far between. :-)
I give him another bottle, and sure enough, he fell asleep again. This time, he slept for about 6 1/2 hours. I tried to sleep, but Mr. Squirmy kept that from happening. I tried watching some tv and/or movies but the sound was only coming out of one of my ear pieces. On a positive note, I was able to play a mahjong game and mastered Bejweled AND they DID have two episodes of the Imagination Movers in their rotation. During the brief moments he was awake, Joe enjoyed watching "Knit Knots Gets Stuck" and "No Noise is Good Noise" -- albeit with no sound... but the visual is better than nothing!
Joe *finally* woke up and Amy again told me that Joe would not sleep for days after this. (I hope she's not right - maybe he is just a really good sleeper. Yeah, that must be it. He is a good sleeper and is just really comfortable with me.) Naturally, it was time for breakfast (at 4:00 pm EST) and I tried to eat my final Korean rice and noodles meal while Joe found the tray table. And that it is moveable. Give me strength. I'm hungry, child, give Mama a break... I ate as fast as I could knowing that we'd either stop for food on the way home or order a pizza eventually. And before I knew it, you guessed it, Joseph Sung Min fell asleep AGAIN as we were landing. I'm starting to think this is how he is dealing with his grief and emotions - by sleeping.
It was finally time to get him back in the harness, grab my carry on and make our way off of the plane. The only things that stood between reuniting my family were customs and immigrations. Please, let us get through this quickly. I can't wait to introduce this handsome little man to his Papa, big sister and Grandma.
It seemed like forever, but they did add extra agents to handle the 6 of us (plus the nice couple I met from NC who were adopting an ADORABLE 17 month old daughter they named Piper). After getting through customs, we went into a little room for the final step -- immigrations. One by one we each took our turn -- we insisted Amy go first since she had a connecting flight and needed to re-check in. We, of course, were the last ones and the escorts told us they would wait for us at baggage. Perhaps the immigrations officer had pity on me -- but I got the abridged version so I could get back with my group. We were almost there.
I called to MIchelle, one of the escorts and we walked together to the baggage claim. They were kind enough to add my luggage to theirs and a very cool bellman found all our luggage and pushed it to the public area. As we approached the frosted glass doors, Michelle, Barb, and "Barb's Friend" insisted I go out the doors first since I had family waiting for me. A few women who worked at the airport were caught up in the excitement and left their posts so they could see these 4 children united with their forever families. (Of course, they initially asked if I was adopting all 4 and all I could do was laugh at that thought).
I made it to those doors and had so many emotions and thoughts rushing through my brain. In moments, I would be introducing Joseph Sung Min to his family. I was excited, nervous, giddy - waiting to see my family. The doors opened and I walked through with a big grin on my face. I scanned the crowd looking for Brian, Liv and Grandma, hearing "is that her" from other waiting families. I finally saw my dear family waiting for me. Here are some pictures that Grandma Fuehrer took of the next moments:
| Liv and Papa waiting patiently |
| Joe checking out his big sister Olivia |
| A surprisingly easy diaper change before the drive home -- my favorite thing about this picture? Big sister Liv's facial expression... |
| Big smiles for Papa after an "Up-Down" |
Joseph Sung MIn was surprisingly laid back during the whole ordeal. We made our way to the car and got him into a carseat for the first time. (I'm sure he would have rather been sitting on Oppa's lap, but he did great once he was strapped in.) . I sat between Joe and Liv in the back of our CR-V (much to the chagrin of Liv, who was hoping to have her little brother all to herself in the backseat) - and gave him a bottle as we left the airport. Less than 10 minutes later, he was out like a light. This was SO much easier than I expected. We were (and are) blessed.
As Joe slept, I chit-chatted with Liv about what has happened the past week. I really missed her and it was wonderful to see her again. She was now a full-fledged kindergartner -- and during the afternoon's announcements at school, they said that today, August 31st, Olivia's little brother was coming home from Korea - and she was very excited. She was beaming as she told me this story (and her teachers later reiterated how proud she looked when the announcement was made.) She *was* disappointed that he was sleeping on the way home. She was looking forward to talking to him and playing with him. I told her that I brought home a DVD (in Korean) of one of his favorite shows, Pororo -- and she said she hoped to watch it with him at home before she went to bed.
As we chatted during the 2+ hour drive home, she said, "I'm so excited today is the day Joe comes home. We've been waiting a long time. I'm so happy I have a baby brother." Is it possible to love this child more that I currently do? I don't know. All I know is that it makes me so happy to hear her say this. She is going to be an incredible big sister.
We made it home and Joe was still sleeping. Brian still had to take Grandma back home, so he carried Liv in and let Jazzy dog out while I carried Sir Sleeps-A-Lot in the house. I was SURE that he would wake up as we walked in the house. Or when he got countless licks from Jazzy. Or when I laid him down in his crib for the first time. I was expecting him to wake up ANY minute, hoping his big sister could have some time with him before she had to go to bed. Sadly, this was not realized as Liv had to go to bed with her little brother snoozing soundly in his room.
Brian and I ordered some pizza and remarked at how blessed we were -- this had gone so much easier than we ever imagined -- and he was even cuter than we had imagined. God is good. Our years of praying and waiting for #2 were finally answered and realized. And what a precious child he was.
The pizza was delicious (banana pepper and onion if you must know) and soon, we were headed off to bed. We looked at the clock and it was 11:15 pm - and just a few minutes later, at 11:25 pm, Joe was up and raring to go...
Becky, I am just so very happy for you all. Big tears for you. Can't wait for you to bring the family to NY to meet your new little man!
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Robyn
Big congratulations to you all! I love reading your blog! DeeDee Frye
ReplyDelete