Wednesday, October 5, 2011

More fantabulous news from another pediatric "ologist"

As some of you reading this are aware, today Joe had an appointment to see a pediatric neurologist.  About three weeks ago, we noticed that he would have tremors that would just affect his head.  They are short in span, usually 2-4 seconds and when they occur, his head shakes back and forth slightly (more like a bobble head than shaking his head no) - and when they are done, he would resume what he was doing.  More often than not, we would notice them when giving him a bottle, in his highchair or playing on the floor.  As a precaution, his pediatrician recommended we see a neurologist and have an EEG done.

Whoo boy, we were NOT looking forward to this, especially since it was going to be going on during his afternoon nap time.  The consult with the doctor was very reassuring.  While he agreed that the EEG was a smart thing to do at this time, he didn't foresee any unusual findings.  He referred to what Joe has been experiencing as "benign tremors" and that he would grow out of them over time.  (And, of course, if at any time we feel concerned about any changes to give him a call.)  Joe was a SAINT during this appointment.  No crying, no discomfort, nothing.  (Of course, there were no shots, blood draws, eye drops, etc - so it was a walk in the park). -- Note: one of his pediatrician's thoughts on the tremors was that, "well, his head is on the large size and perhaps his neck muscles get tired of holding it up".  She might be on to something...

Next came the <sarcasm font> fun part </sarcasm>.  As I walked Joe Sung Min-Ah back to his examination room, all the techs were fawning over how cute he was. I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what they were saying as he was hamming it up for the ladies.  We are going to have our hands full in a few years.  But I digress...

The tech asked me if I thought he'd be good - or if he was going to cry.  In my book, those two aren't mutually exclusive.  He most certainly would cry BUT he would be good at the same time.  And he was.


It took about a half hour to get the 24 electrodes placed securely on his head.  I was able to lie down next to him but he was beyond comfort at this point.  As a parent, it is so hard to feel helpless when your little one is so distressed.  But eventually he was done - and luckily I brought a bottle and gave it to him to help settle down the little man.    I asked if he could watch something on my phone but the tech didn't think that was a good idea.  Luckily, she was replaced with a new one who said it would be fine - especially if it would help soothe him.  


I've said it before, I'll say it again - Pororo will calm him down like nothing else.  So, as we laid down on the bed, we kept watching the same Pororo clips over and over.  The new tech said she'd get a better reading with a calm child than one that is yelling his head off.  I wasn't sure if he'd sleep, but I knew he'd be still and in a zen like state.  Much to my surprise, as I kept stroking his cheek and telling him it was ok, he became very still.  The little fella fell asleep and before I knew it, we were done - and the ladies said he did great.  Yay!!!  And although the technician wasn't at liberty to discuss the readings, she was able to say (in a roundabout way) that nothing looked out of the ordinary.  We'll know definitively tomorrow after we speak with the doctor's office, but we are breathing a huge sigh of relief.  More answered prayers.  God is good.


Of course, he fell asleep on the way to Grandma's house and had a quick nap before deciding it was dinner time.  Big sister was off her her last soccer game (go red team!) and we we headed home so we could get a super fast bath in before putting him down for the night.  He was rocking a pseudo-fauxhawk thanks to the adhesive still in his hair (and the baby oil I used to try to get it out) -- I think we may just need to keep this look on occasion.

Here's hoping we've seen the last "ologist" for awhile... and thank you for all your prayers, love and support.  We truly appreciate them!










No comments:

Post a Comment