I'd like to start out by wishing Ketchup With Us a very happy birthday. Yes, it is about a week late, but this weeks prompt is still going on so *technically* this is still on time. Right? For installment #25, Michele and Mel are encouraging us to write about a very memorable birthday in our lives. If you've read my blog before, you're probably thinking I'm going to write about Joe's 1st birthday celebration in Korea ... or his first birthday with us. Nope and nope. Instead, I'm going to write about one of my most unusual - and memorable birthdays. It involves a body cast. Read on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not many kids can say they celebrated a birthday in a body
cast.
I turned 5 between hip operations and did so in (70’s) style:
a custom wagon/cot (with seat belt),
a turtle cake and, apparently, a box of oranges.
My grandparents came over, we played games, had a great day.
(The oranges STILL crack me up.)
![]() |
| Just hanging out ... with a big box of oranges ...on my birthday |
![]() |
| I affectionately named my cast "Simon" and said I felt like a turtle in a shell. My very creative mom made me a turtle cake to celebrate the day. (Look: I'm holding an orange in this picture! Mmmm) :) |
![]() |
| OK, this was "technically" a few weeks later, after another operation - but even girls in body casts can get all dressed up. :) |




Oh Becky. You must have been a very courageous kid. I can't begin to imagine how your parents managed. BIG HUG What a cutie
ReplyDeleteThanks, Wy. I really didn't know any better - and always figured I was pretty lucky since I didn't have anything *seriously* wrong with me. I've often wondered the same thing about my parents, as I sat in the waiting room for my kids' surgeries. (My early operations were at Air Force hospitals where my dad was an administrator, so both of my parents were around a lot - and I received great care.) :)
DeleteBless your heart, Bexx! I can't even imagine how uncomfortable that must have been! Holy cow! I love that you still have a great bug smile on your face, even in a body cast. I see where Liv gets it!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are okay now.
Thanks for sharing this!
xoxo
Thanks, Amy! I honestly don't remember any discomfort or pain, apart from a few scratchies sometimes. My family kept me entertained and this is probably why I started reading at a young age. The doctors did some pretty amazing things - and when Liv was diagnosed with the same issues at 4 days old, she wore a cute pink velcro harness for 3 months that fixed it perfectly. She was, and is, a trooper too.
DeleteThanks for the support - and yes, getting my ceramic hip took about 10 years off of my life. I'm blessed.