Saturday, February 18, 2012

It's A Boy! The Story of 2-18-2011

February 18,2011 is a day that changed our lives.  One year ago, we got the phone call we had been waiting for what seemed like ages.  (Technically, it was just over 3 months since our homestudy was approved, but in the midst of an adoption three months is an eternity.) Our social worker called around 9:45 in the morning to tell us that she had wonderful news. "It's a boy!", she exclaimed.  My mind was racing and I was in a complete daze. Our prayers were answered.  We got "THE CALL" - and it was a BOY! We planned to meet up later that afternoon to over all the paperwork and get all the details.  I couldn't wait to tell Brian!


Of course, she had called right after Brian had called me during his break.  So, I called Grandma to break the news to her.  I'm honestly not sure who was more excited, me or her! Naturally, today was the one day that Brian took a late lunch and I could not get hold of him.  I tried texting - no luck.  I waited for him to call...nothing.  I didn't even think to call his unit and have him paged.  He finally called and I asked him if he could get out of work early so we could meet up with the social worker before her dinner party.  We decided that I would get there first and go over the paperwork and he would meet us when we could.  


Olivia was THRILLED to hear the news that she was REALLY going to be a big sister.  To a BROTHER.  Her brain was moving a mile a minute as well: "Can you believe it Mama? I'm really going to be a big sister.  I think I'm going to be a really good sister, don't you?"  I dropped her off at Grandma's house


The meeting was a blur.  We went over his family history, his health record (what they knew of it) and the next steps.  When Brian arrived, we reviewed everything again and finally, she showed us the pictures.  From the moment we saw his pictures (even before then), we knew he was our son.  And we could not wait to bring him home to complete our family.


These first pictures were taken when he was just 6 weeks old.  Isn't he an adorable peanut?




Fast forward two and a half months and you can see how well taken care of he was by his foster family.  They LOVED him and were taking very good care of him.  We even got a picture of his (then) foster mom.  So cute!

And 14 months later (almost to the day) here is our little man looking so grown up. He has brought us incredible joy - and turned our lives upside down.


And we wouldn't have it any other way...

No comments:

Post a Comment